Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Back it up before it's too late...

So I am trying really hard not to panic today.

I wasn't too concerned about the hard drive not functioning on one of our computers. We don't know if we will be able to recover what is on it. I was thinking that most of my stuff is now on my laptop so my files might be alright. Alas, last night Nate reminded me that most of our digital photos for the last several years are on that computer. PANIC!

We knew the hard drive was acting funny but we didn't take the time to back it up- my problem is that I did not think I knew how to back it up- there was my error.

If only...

  • I guess I could have figured out how to save them to a CD- but I didn't.
  • We talked about getting an external hard drive- but we didn't.
  • We could have transferred all of the photos to my lap top so we had two copies- but we didn't.
  • We could have bought a bunch of cheap flash drives- but we didn't.
  • We could have saved our photos in an online album- but we didn't.
Lesson learned, unfortunately. Hopefully we will be better prepared in the future.

Digital cameras are a blessing and a curse. You can get better shots (because you can see the results right away) but since you don't need to develop them to see what you have you are less likely to make hard copies of them.

Don't make our mistakes, make sure you have multiple copies of your digital photos and possibly send copies to other people or at least put them on other computers so that you don't lose part of your memories!

3 comments:

Regan said...

Oh, no! That's terrible! I hope you'll be able to get it all back. I keep thinking I need to back up all my pictures and actually just ordered an external hard drive yesterday (got a great President's Day sale!). They're not that expensive and hold a TON. That's one of my biggest fears - losing all my pictures! I'm sorry that happened to you.

Lisa said...

My friend Jess makes CDs of all her pictures for the year and sends them out to *every* member of her family. They can see what's going on, and Jess has back-ups.

Good luck with the recovery!

Jenni said...

AAACK! Worst of my nightmares! Last year, I thought I'd lost a particular video clip of Luke as a baby (one of my most prized posessions) in the computer switcheroo, and I literally had to be medicated.

I hope you can get it all!