"Razzberries!" was the response Jenna gave Nate recently when told she needed to do something. "Soy Sauce!" is a call I hear from both kids when we have Chinese food and pull the soy sauce from the fridge. "I'm a Jazz Baby" is what I heard Jenna singing in the tub the other day.
Do these phrases sound familiar? Well, I have been trying to keep the kids fans of the older musicals and these quotes are from:

Some of the other musicals that are our favorites are:
- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
- Singing in the Rain
- The Happiest Millionaire
- Newsies
- and of course the High School Musical movies
I am a fan of other musicals but these are the ones I can currently convince my family to watch with me. Some of my other favorite musicals are:
- White Christmas
- Sound of Music
- My Fair Lady
I know I am forgetting some others but I just haven't had a chance to watch many of them in a long time. What are some of your favorite musicals?
7 comments:
My favorite, favorite, favorite is GiGi (Maurice Chevalier sings "Thank Heaven for Little Girls"--*sigh*), though it might not be entirely appropriate for the younger set (courtesans and suicides, but then Millie isn't much better). Still, it won an Oscar for best picture back in the fifties, so maybe it'll slide over their heads, and the music really is enchanting.
Hmm... What else. I like Hello Dolly, but I'm not too keen on Barbara Streisand, so it's your call there. The Rogers & Hammerstein Cinderella is fantastic, too. Jonathan's absolute favorite is Guys & Dolls. There's always The King & I, South Pacific, and West Side Story. And one of my new intrigues is Bride & Prejudice (Bollywood-esque Jane Austin starring Naveen Andrews from Lost--yum). Hope that helps.
Fiddler on the Roof! And Bridget LOVES The Sound of Music, which also got her interested in Mary Poppins, finally. Brent remembers a lot of the older musicals, and I've been sloooowwwly interesting him in newer ones (I surprised him with tickets to Phantom a few Valentine's Days ago). My dad was in West Side Story in college. He actually had a drama scholarship, so I was raised on a lot of that stuff!
How did I not know you were a TTM fan? Put the first and last name together of my most recent-born, and you'll get a little smile. It was my nod to the movie. I have a section of my Christmas tree dedicated to this movie....ah....
Little smile indeed- Jen. So many movies that I forgot to list but so many of you have included them in your lists and yet the list could still go on and on! Musicals- you gotta love them- or at least let your mothers and wives help you LEARN to love them! ;)
Uh...oops. Just noticed I mistyped the acronym for that movie. TMM, I mean. Yes, I have my own little "Babyface."
Matt hates the movie (not musicals in general, just this one in particular), so it was a great triumph to me when my boys became completely infatuated with it. Success!
Jonathan says: I would recommend Pirates of Penzance. It's a Gilbert and Sullivan opera, and its quite funny. Bride and Prejudice, on further reflection, probably isn't appropriate (it's pg-13), and Guys & Dolls might need to wait till they're older too (a lot of gambling talk and a few burlesque numbers - all filmed in the fifties, though, so you decide. There is something that resembles a striptease, but they end up wearing more than some girls I see at the mall).
i just watched that for the first time! the movie is so random! the modern millie - and tons of great quotes!!
Post a Comment