Tuesday, April 27, 2010

When you get distracted...

It is amazing how easy it is to get distracted.  Sometimes it is with good things, other times not. 

Today's distraction (my computer) led to a very disappointing batch of bread.  I lost track of time and let the loaves raise way too long so that they actually rose and fell before I managed to cook them. 

The result: brick shaped loaves with tough top crusts. Bummer.  
Please note that the cut slice is from a full sized loaf.  Generally you want these to be bigger than mini loaves.

So I tried to pay attention to the next batch and had a much better shape and color.

But I started thinking about distractions today.  Lately the distraction has been karate, karate, karate.  So much so that I was shocked to see that I had over 400 photos from the last several months still on the camera!  No wonder I didn't have any photos to blog about nor the time to put into it. 

But karate is a good distraction because Spencer has been working so hard for a goal.  He chatted with Nate about trying to get his black belt in time for the May Promotion.  In order to do this he has had to go to karate 8 times a week (twice on Tues and Thurs) for several months to get in the required amount of classes completed.  Despite the time commitment, Spencer has been cheerful.  Has never complained about going.  Always had his homework done.  Was always ready for class.  He has been happy.

It started me thinking how important it is to have worthwhile goals. 
  • Goals that are realistic (8 classes a week was only realistic due to this time of year).  
  • Goals that have a set end date (Black belt promotions are only twice a year and he didn't want to wait for November.)  
  • Goals that in the end make you a better person than you when you started (through talents, health, skills, etc).  
  • Because Spencer had this goal he used his time better (looked ahead for homework to make sure he had time to complete it).
I grateful for the time that I have had to help Spencer work towards his goal.  Because of our efforts he has earned enough classes that missing a couple as other activities are happening isn't a problem.  And a week from Saturday he will indeed achieve his goal.

I think that now that I have let another distraction (blogging) happen I will now get down to work and find some goals of my own to work on.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Love it!

And blogging isn't a distraction...

Lisa said...

You should be able to punch down the bread and let it rise again.

Yea Spencer!!! It's great that he's had such a great goal to work toward and that all his hard work will pay off so well. Congratulations to him.