Thursday, August 23, 2007

Hotdish- welcome to the midwest

So I was having fun checking out facts about the MN State Fair- it starts up today and we are trying to figure out when we are going. Wikipedia had some interesting facts about the MN State Fair and it referred to the term Hotdish because at the fair you can now get "hotdish on a stick" as one of the many offerings of food served on a stick.

Hotdish is basically a term for casserole. Around here when people are talking about bringing food to a potluck the term casserole is generally only is used by those "not from around here". But of course the Minnesota Nice personalities don't make fun of those who say casserole- we know what they mean. The requirements are usually a can of creamed soup and a cheese topping with the other ingredients usually including meat, pasta or potatoes, and a vegie or 2.

There is also a difference between hot dish and hotdish- check out the above link for this peculiar term from "up north".

Anyone else have know of other regional terms for food. I know all about the "coke" and "soda" debate- I'll stick with "pop" thank you very much.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The quote from Flak Magazine (Minnesota State Fair hotdish on a stick is of the tater tot variety. Tater tots alternate with meatballs under a breaded coating, giving the thing the appearance of a very drably colored snake that has swallowed three spherical mice.) is just priceless. How very picturesque!

Kim Ashford said...

That is a great quote. Very picturesque yes -and yet sadly that is a very accurate description of what it looks like and now I will never be able to get that image of a satisfied snake out of my head!

Regan said...

We just laugh about barbecue. Where I come from, hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill is barbecue. That doesn't fly here. I realized a little while ago how much I've changed in regards to things like that.

Anonymous said...

The barbecue issue is mostly a case of simple English. For folks outside our part of the world, barbecue is a verb, something you do, like "barbecueing some burgers". Here, barbecue is a noun, the name for something cooked slowly over a wood smoke fire. Of course there is a heated debate over what constitutes that BBQ noun. We typically associate BBQ with beef, where many in the southeast associate BBQ with pork. And the Carolinas associate BBQ with pork in a vinegary sauce, something we find difficult to imagine. To paraphrase Bones McCoy, "it's barbecue, Jim, but not as we know it".

Lisa said...

I know this isn't food, but when I was in Nauvoo I noticed that no one had garage sales. They had auctions. From the little families cleaning out some old stuff, to the convent next door when they gutted the place when the last dozen nuns moved out. You just hire an auctioneer, lay everything out for everyone to look at, then wait to see how much money you make.