Jenna tends to be a tom-boy. Getting her to wear a dress to church has been a struggle. Forget about barrettes- just combing her hair has resulted in screams. She rarely plays with dolls but prefers cars or animals instead. But things are a-changing!
She started noticing shoes at first. She loves shoe-shopping! It is hard to get her moving once we have started the process of looking for shoes. She walks down the aisle- " I want to try those on, or how about those mom?"
She noticed that she only has one pair of shoes that she wears to school (because those are the ones with her expensive inserts in them). "Mom, the other kids get to wear more than one kind of shoes to school- I want more too!"
She has also started playing with dolls. Animals are still her favorite but she is beginning to collect Polly Pockets and she enjoys those! And at school she often chooses to "play house" with the other girls in her class during their free time.
She has been more willing to wear her dresses to church now too. She even picked out one of her nicer ones to wear last week! Of course, wearing dresses to school is out of the question for her and I don't worry about that (I didn't like to wear dresses to school either).
But the biggest event in her changing attitudes occurred last Wednesday before school when I found her in the bathroom trying to put a ponytail in her own hair! Of course it is a little short for a ponytail but she was willing to let me style her hair and pull part of it back so it stayed out of her face! AMAZING! and there was almost no complaints. She started to change her mind before school but with some minimal distraction she actually kept the binder in all day.
Bonus events have happened everyday since- she has not only had her hair combed and pulled back, but she has let me put in a small french braid and curl it too- also with no complaints. What a hurdle this has been and I am so glad that she has decided it is okay to act a little girlish.
But there will be no rushing out for big bows or ribbons for her hair- she isn't going for anything that fancy but at least the hair that is determined to grow forward into her face (which is most of it!) will be able to be tamed. I hope by writing this I won't jinx the trend.
Now I just need to improve her eating habits -that will take me a while!
4 comments:
It's probably from watching all the girls at school. It's fun to get dolled up and be girly, though, even if you are usually rough-and-tumble. It makes a nice balance. I'm happy for you! Elena's starting to move away from bows and ribbons--but nothing can tear her away from her beloved dresses!
I have an idea that might help with her eating habits. That is in her Christmas present.
That's so sweet!
A girl? What's that? LOL. My boys do enjoy putting barrettes and bows in my hair though.
We just got your Christmas card. You guys sure have a couple of mini-me's! I can't believe how much Jenna looks like you! Course I haven't seen her for a few years, but wow!
Post a Comment