Thursday, November 13, 2008

Tis the season...for SOCKS

Okay, so perhaps it is the season for many things but at this time of year I become more aware of my sock collection - or lack there of.

The weather now is generally cold and wet, and thus it often requires removing your shoes. Yes, of course there are many people who always require shoe removal to protect their carpets, but often times in good weather that leaves many of us in bare feet (which is a whole other issue that I will not discuss here.)

So what are you wearing under your shoes? Do you ever panic and think-

"Yikes, I hope these aren't the socks that have the hole in them?"
Or
"If I sit on my feet maybe no one will notice these socks!"
Or
"If I keep my feet flat on the ground- no will will notice that I wore these white socks outside (more than once)"
Or
"Oh no, the only clean socks in my drawer are the ugly, last resort pair that are losing their shape! Should I pull some out of the laundry?"

Are there sock rules out there? I just have so many questions.
It is bad to wear white socks with black pants? Is matching your socks to your shirt good or bad? Would it be best to just match your pants instead? Are toe socks (the ones that divide your toes) an appropriate gift for grandma this year? Do I feel confident enough in myself to wear wild socks to tomorrow's Pampered Chef party?
Although perhaps the best problematic question is- Yikes, will these thick socks fit into any of my shoes? Nope, guess it is time to go shopping!

Just to be safe I bought a few new pairs of socks today- I wonder what outfits they will go with?

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Crazy socks are like a bright scarf--as long as they fit the mood of the outfit, it's all good. With solid socks, though, it's better to blend and match. Not necessarily the pants, but some element of the outfit. Toe socks are really fun, and some grandmas can do them justice, but they're not as warm as regular socks (mittens vs. gloves, same deal) and the toes can be hard to work on and off if you've got stiff or shaky fingers, so it's your call.

Callie. said...

haha. This was funny. Kim, yes, there are rules for socks. There are. And no, you cannot wear white socks with black pants! And Craig should not be wearing ankle socks with dressy shoes and khaki pants either. That's just wrong. But does he listen to me? No, of course not! Anyways, I am sure you will do fine. I myself, need to go sock shopping as well. I have like zero cute pairs and my feet always get wet whenever I wear my flats now. It's just too rainy and wet everywhere. So go buy yourself some cute, patterened socks and have fun with them! And wear some to your pampered chef party tomorrow. :) By the way, one of these days it would be really fun to go visit you guys in MN. Someday...you know, whenever we have extra money again!

Jenni said...

Trauma. Fashion causes such drama, doesn't it?!

All of my white workout socks are really closer to gray....I need to stop wandering around outside without my shoes on. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Agree with the previous commenter. NO white socks EVER unless you're running. Don't match socks to shirt unless it is 80's day. Match socks to pants or socks to shoes (depending on the pants/shoes).

Don't watch Stacy and Clinton on TLC's What Not to Wear, because they'll crucify you for wearing any sort of patterned sock. I think they're sticks in the mud. Go berzerk. It is one of the only freedoms we SAHMs have.

I'm going the route of prevention and doing the skirt and tights. But then again...I don't live in Minnesota.

Good luck.

Regan said...

Very cute! I cannot remember the last time I wore socks, unless I was working out, and we all know how often that happens. Looks like you've been filled in on the rules! I had black socks picked out for Bridget today, with really dark jeans and a t-shirt and some casual shoes (pink and white, but the socks didn't show under the jeans!). She needed to change out of her jeans, and Brent picked some cropped pants. Four inches of skin above black foldover socks and pink and white shoes? NOT a good look.

marlamuppets said...

love the socks.
i wear whatever socks i can find off my floor - if they match, no problem! i'll still put them on. the seminary kids think it's fun.
matching is overrated.

Clarinda said...

Every Christmas the Ugly Sock Fairy puts a gift under my parents tree for me. :-) It will be very welcomed this year, as I seem to be burning through my socks like crazy!