For a while I had gotten out of the habit of reading books for fun because there was so much to read for school. It took me a while to find the time to read but the extra incentive that it is important for our kids to see us reading, helped.
Wednesday, Spencer and I went to the book fair at his school. He loves books. I got a picture of Nate reading to the kids one of our new books, a classic book that every home should have ...A Light in the Attic.
5 comments:
The last book I read was "An Innocent Man" by John Grisham. A little different for him since it was non-fiction, it was quite interesting to me. Craig read it too and said he really liked it.
I hope my kids love reading as much as yours. I never feel like I'm doing enough to get there though! But I just finished the whole "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" series. It's young adult, but I LOVED it! So good. They were so fun to read I'm now kind of in a slump because I can't figure out what to read next. I did also get a bestseller from Jodi Picoult called "Harvesting the Heart," although I ended up throwing it away since it was a bit too risque. Anyways, if you have suggesting for me too that would be great! I may just pick one off the side of your list.
Another classic for fun children's literature is "The Complete Nonsense Books of Edward Lear." Cynthia got it for Jonathan several years ago, and the quote was "This makes no sense;I don't get it--Jonathan will love it." For those of you who are wondering, Edward Lear wrote "The Owl and the Pussycat," "Hey Diddle Diddle, the Cat and the Fiddle," "Sing a Song of Sixpence" and about half the rest of the nursery rhymes used in the English language. Plus there's a slew of ridiculous limericks and silly pictures. Be warned though, it is 19th century and not all the endings are happy.
Thanks for your suggestions. Can you tell that I like to read series books. Can the word series be plural? Anyway I will have to check some of your books out when I finish my Independant Study Class.
A tip that I didn't share is that I love to listen to books on tape (or CD). Some of the narrators are better than others but it helps me to stay in one place and finish something (usually the cleaning project) because it is harder to get distracted into another room.
They are also great for road trips - so if any of you need any ideas for those we have some favorites that we have liked to listen too. Usually they are in the Young Adult catagory- they are just fun and not too complicated of a plot.
I love book fairs! I can't wait for Bridget to get into school so we can do book orders! I've got several books sitting around that my mom keeps sending - I can't find time to read them. We've just started reading chapter books to Bridget at night (Magic Tree House, Junie B. Jones, Disney Fairies). Brent wants to read her the Harry Potter books so that he can read her book 7 this summer, but I'm making him wait on those. :)
Post a Comment