Wednesday, September 19, 2007

It's Apple Season!!!

I love the fall... the leaves changing color, walking on crunchy leaves, the cool weather and apples! For possibly only the second time the apples on my parents trees were in good enough condition to pick this year. They have two trees one Jonathan and one Courtland. On Monday night we picked, cleaned, cut and froze enough apples for 29 pies or crisps. I don't think that my sealer has ever been so useful. The kids had fun helping with the picking.

The crew for the other steps included most of the available adults so there wasn't anyone to man the camera. We had quite the assembly line going with my parents, Lindsay, David (for part of the time), Me and then Nate when he got home. There are still apples to pick so perhaps another night will be either applesauce or drying apples or even more pie filling.

My dad and I were commenting on how I need to find a spot in my yard to plant one or two Honeycrisp apple trees- wouldn't that be cool! Now I need to figure out how to get one of those trees and where to put it so that it won't shade the blackberry bushes that I hope to plant someday too.

One of Spencer's goals- he has so many of them- was to climb a tree.
Well he enjoyed that on Monday.




Jenna was in charge of putting the apples into the buckets.
She was on a ladder later I am told but I didn't get any photos of that.


This is probably one of my favorite recent photos of the two kids.




2 comments:

Callie. said...

how fun does that look! I want to come and pick some apples too! I love seeing how green everything is there.

Regan said...

That sounds so great! We love apples and how cool to have them right in your own yard (or the yard next door)!