Wednesday, July 30, 2008

What the crap? Literally...

Okay, this is not my normal goody-two-shoes entitled post, but I was a little disturbed upon finding a unidentified dropping on my garage floor! That screw is about 4in long. (If you click on the photo you may get a larger-than-you-wanted-to-see sized photo.)



How do you figure these things out when you haven't seen any small creatures hanging around? You google, of course.

From my own horrific experiences I knew it wasn't a mouse- this is in a different size category, people. So I started looking for terms that came to mind. I started with "squirrel poop" - found a photo- didn't look right though.

Then I pulled myself up a few grades in terminology and looked for animal scat. Scat- yep that is a technical term. Nope, that didn't have the results I wanted.

Then I pulled myself up a few more grades and searched for "animal scat identification". Ain't I soundin' educated? And then I found a good diagram that I think have figured out who my uninvited intruder was...
At least that is what I hope it is. I don't think I have any rats in the area. That would be WAY, WAY worse! It could also be an opossum. Gross. What do you think?

4 comments:

Jenni said...

You crack me up. At least you can eliminate potty training toddlers. Chipmunks, eh? Who knew.

Lisa said...

(eewww!! you poor thing, trying to google that!)

It's roughly cat-sized so I'd go with the opossum--they're bigger.

Regan said...

Ick. Good luck with that. :)

Kim Ashford said...

Lisa, I am afraid you might be right but I am more willing to focus on a possible chipmunk.

We tend to leave our garage door open in the evening because that is one of the doors that the dog comes in at night but I am starting to rethink that policy.